PLEASE NOTE: Distressing image below

A farmer from Calverton has said he’s been left devastated after three of his sheep were killed in a grisly attack last night (April 6).

Police said they received the report of a suspicious incident after a farmer heard loud bang noises and talking in a field.

The caller left his house and went out with his torch and then discovered find three sheep dead.

Two of the animals were found to have had their throats cut and another sheep has been suspected to have died through shock.

Two other sheep were also tied up by their horns with nylon rope, with one of them also having a slash wound. Thankfully their injuries aren’t believed to be life-threatening.

Some of the sheep were still alive despite the injuries and the farmer believed a vehicle in a lay-by close to the farm was connected to the incident.

Police officers moved quickly to arrest a 41-year-old man thanks to the help of a local gamekeeper who helped to track down a suspect.

Police arrested a 41-year-old man
IMAGE: Sheep slaughtered on the farm in Calverton

The game keeper followed the vehicle into the city which was finally stopped in Gregory Boulevard.

Local officers were alerted to the incident and arrested the man.

Devastated farmer Michael Asher said: “It is very unnerving and frightening really. I’m devastated as this will affect the lambing next year. Three female sheep all died last night and it’s scary that this should happen.

“Obviously with Coronavirus, people shouldn’t be out and about. They shouldn’t be leaving their homes. This is the last thing people need with what’s going on.

“I was told by my neighbour who heard noises and I came out to see the sheep injured. It’s not acceptable.

“Having spoken to the officers they are obviously very keen in this incident, which is great, they’ve done a lot of work already and it’s good to hear that someone has been arrested.”

A 41-year-old man was arrested under suspicion of criminal damage, theft of a motor vehicle and animal cruelty.

The incident happened around 11pm yesterday on Oxton Road.

Detective Sergeant Luke Todd is leading the investigation. He said: “This is a horrific incident. Following the call by the farmer, officers were quickly in the area to make the arrest, aided by a member of the public.

“Officers also used the force drone last night to search for anyone else connected to the incident, but looking at the footage, there was no one else found.

“The man remains in police custody and will be questioned today. We continue to investigate the circumstances and if anyone heard or saw anything suspicious please call 101, quoting incident number 917 of 6 April 2020.”



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.