Sign up for our daily newsletter

Got a story? Email us: news@gedlingeye.co.uk

THE VOICE OF GEDLING BOROUGH SINCE 2015

6 C
Gedling

Housing developer went into administration just two weeks before new Rolleston Drive residents were due to move in

Ilke Homes collapsed into administration in June while it was working on the site of a former school in Rolleston Drive, Arnold

Bookmark

A Gedling councillor has revealed the ilke Homes’ collapse will have a negative impact on an “already-stretched housing waiting list”.

Ilke Homes, which is based in Yorkshire, collapsed into administration in June while it was working on the site of a former school in Rolleston Drive, Arnold, where work on 131 homes had been taking place. 

During Gedling Borough Council Full Council on July 12, Cllr Jenny Hollingsworth (Lab), portfolio holder for growth and regeneration, said: “Clearly the news that ilke Homes had gone into administration is hugely disappointing, not only because the much-needed delivery of affordable homes will be delayed, but also because this Labour authority fought hard to get this site developed.

Rolleston Drive homes Arnold
PICTURED: An artist’s impression of the new homes on Rolleston Drive

“The collapse of ilke Homes was not foreseen and came less than two weeks before the first properties were due to be occupied.

- Advertisement -

“It will obviously have a negative impact on an already-stretched housing waiting list as those people who had been allocated properties will now have to be housed elsewhere.

“Rolleston Drive was due to provide 85 affordable homes. There are currently 605 live applications on the home search system, so the allocation of 85 properties would have seen the current numbers of households on the waiting list reduce by 14 per cent.

“There are individuals and families behind these figures whose hopes of moving into a new, permanent and secure home within the next few weeks have been dashed.”

The 85 affordable rent homes were due to be delivered in 11 tranches to help provide homes for those on the waiting list, at a time when applications from homless people are rising.

The council says 567 homeless applications were received in 2018/19, before increasing to 874 in 2022/23.

- Advertisement -

As of July this year, more than 200 applications had been received and there are now concerns it will increase further.

Cllr Helen Greensmith (Con) questioned whether the council carried out any checks on the company before work started.

Cllr Hollingsworth added: “This was an arrangement between (housing association) Jigsaw Homes and ilke, funded substantially through Homes England.

“It was not an arrangement with Gedling Borough Council. We have no financial commitment or obligation. Ilke Homes, I can tell you, I visited the site and it is a good product.

“The have said the reason they had to go into administration is Government uncertainty and economic chaos.”

- Advertisement -

A spokesperson for Jigsaw Homes Group told the Local Democracy Reporting Service: “We are very disappointed to hear that ilke Homes has gone into administration.

“We were informed of this by the administrators on Friday afternoon, June 30, and we are now in talks with them to discuss and consider our options.”

More than 1,000 members of staff at ilke will lose their jobs.

Ilke has been contacted for comment.

Spotted something? Got a story? Email our newsdesk news@gedlingeye.co.uk

Read more from Gedling Eye

Get your daily news briefing every evening…

Sign up for our daily news email and receive Gedling borough news direct to your email inbox in the early evening, to read at your leisure on your desktop, tablet or mobile wherever you are.

We don’t spam and you'll only receive one email a day

Join the discussion

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Stories you may have missed...