PLANNING MATTERS – ST. WILFRID’S SQUARE
After more than six months since the original application with five revisions and over 1,200 comments submitted by local residents to GBC, the Planning Department officers have recommended that the proposal for a three-storey building comprising four retail units and eight residential flats should be given full planning approval by members of the Planning Committee.
In a 38 page document the Planning Department reached the conclusion that the development was considered acceptable for the following reasons: –
- The principle of the mixed use development within an existing Local Centre is supported in policy.
- The development would bring significant economic development to the area which has been identified as a key settlement for growth.
- Residential amenity would not be significantly adversely affected.
- There would be no significant adverse impact on the Calverton Conservation Area.
- The scheme delivers community infrastructure including local shops that could bring new employment opportunities.
The planning officers seem to access applications against the Council’s Policy rather than local opinion and try to justify how a proposal fits that Policy (there are more than 70 references to the word Policy in the document) rather than how it affects the local circumstances.
Once again it appears Calverton and its residents will receive unfavourable treatment from Gedling Borough, a predominantly urban area. Having read the officers’ recommendation it is up to the members of the Planning Committee to decide if the proposal is acceptable. If the Committee does agree, it is possible that our local MP, Mark Spencer, could ask for the decision to be “called in” for review by the Secretary of State for Communities.
Everyone is invited to “A History of Calverton”
An illustrated account of the settlement and some of the people who have lived in the Calverton area during the last 5000 years!
Wednesday, November 22nd. at 7.15 pm.at the Baptist Church Hall, The Nook
Admission £4 including light refreshments
(CPHS Members £3-50)
Tickets available at The CORE Centre, St. Wilfrid’s Square
Or ring 965 4843 for more details
CALVERTON COLLIERY REMEMBERED 80 YEARS ON
Following the mine-shaft and surface buildings which were completed during 1939 further development of the colliery was limited during wartime. After several years a second shaft was created and in 1947 when all U.K Collieries were nationalised, Calverton Colliery was taken over by the National Coal Board. Hauling coal to the surface began in March 1953 and this was followed in April 1954 with an underground visit by Princess Margaret.
It was about this time when housing for the workers and their families, many transferred from North East England, was built. First the “Top Estate”, Collyer Road and Park Road area nearest the colliery was created, soon followed by the “Bottom Estate”, Thorndale Road and Broom Road area.
Ever thought about joining the Preservation Society?
Now’s the time. Join in November and get 14 months’ membership for the price of 12!!
Annual membership:- Adult £7, Family £12 or pay for 5 years till 2021 and avoid any increase in that time!
Adult £35, Family £60. For more details contact Betty Gretton 847 1881 or [email protected]
- A few years ago a planning application which would have created a natural cemetery between the top of George’s Hill and the entrance to the Calverton Hill Hospital was withdrawn. Recently the plan has been revived as apparently Redhill cemetery is nearly full and additional space is required in the area. The proposed new cemetery providing for about 100 funerals a year would have 3 areas, conventional, woodland and natural sections, together with a car park with access by updating the existing track on the bend near the Hospital entrance.
- A planning application has recently been submitted to GBC for a first floor and two-storey extension to the Surgery, St Wilfrid’s Square. The application also includes upgrading the existing flat roof and improvement to the entrance area with ramped access and a flat canopy.
Reprinted by kind permission of the Calverton Echo