Carlton is in the Borough of Gedling, which at the 2011 Census had a population of 6,881.
In the Domesday Book of 1086, Carlton is referred to as Carentune.
Like other parts of Nottingham, Carlton grew up with the textile industry in the 19th century. It is now mostly residential.
Until 1950, Carlton was part of the Rushcliffe parliamentary constituency. It had its own eponymous constituency from 1950 until 1983, since when it has been in the Gedling constituency.
In 1974, Carlton Urban District became part of the newly formed Borough of Gedling.
Gedling MP supports local charity helping young people who are experiencing loneliness during lockdown
The support packs have been created as research revealed that during lockdown, young adults are almost three times more likely