CarltonNewsWestdale Tavern to close later this month

The Westdale Tavern is to close later this month, it has been announced.

The pub on Westdale Lane has been sold by current owners Greene King.

The venue will shut its doors for the final time on Monday, April 24.

A spokesman for Greene King said: “As a leading pub operator and brewer, we are committed to running high quality community pubs. To be able to continue to invest in our estate, from time to time we have to make the difficult decision to sell pubs.

“After much consideration, we decided to put The Westdale on the market and have now found a buyer.

“The pub will close on Monday, April 24 and we are working with the team there to find them alternative employment where possible at our other nearby pubs.”

• Do you have memories of the Westdale Tavern? Share them with our readers in the comments section below

15 comments

• philippa

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:26 pm

Many fond memories. I met my husband at the tavern 22 years ago.

• Haydn

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:12 pm

Was best pub around in it’s day. It needs a uplift and spending some money on it like willobrook and gelding in .its a shame

• Jen

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:28 pm

Best pub in the borough to go to in the 90 early ’00 when Dot was top boss… brilliant pub in its day, let’s hope it can be again

• Terence

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:19 pm

Remember going in the side door off Adbolton to by a bottle, the Saturday night disco with Tony, and Dot running the pub with respect.

• Andrea Thornton

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:45 pm

Tony is my dad!

• Mark D

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:08 pm

The first published in had a pint in, what a shame

• Clare

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:42 pm

It’s been along time coming! It was bad when I first went in and it’s gone down hill from there. Now it’s got staff that can’t be bothered. I’ve been expecting this closure for a long time

• Bill Scott

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:07 pm

Lived just up the road for 14 years was involved with the football team, the pool team and the darts team, best pub in Nottingham ran by the best landlady affectionately known as Robodot, many happy memories, shame it’s closing. Bill Scott. AKA Geordie Bill.

• Susan Marshall

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:20 am

I could tell a few stories. My mum ran this pub for 35 years. So many memories over the years, I was only 8 when we moved in, I’ve seen so many staff and customers come and go. I’ve seen Dot, as you all know her, cuff a few round the ear hole and throw many a big bloke out. Few dared to argue. A bit of a legend in her time.

• Andrea Thornton

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:49 pm

My mum Paula worked there as a cleaner and barmaid while my dad Tony was the DJ. Loved Dot xx

• Ray "Kipper" Kimpton

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:13 pm

Have many memories of the Tavern, Held my 21st Birthday party there, one of my wedding receptions there, and much later, going there on a Saturday lunch with my mum for lunch, met lots of mates there, Steve G, Brian B, Grenville S Alex S, Paula B, I lived just up the road on Newcastle Ave.
    Happy days.

• Andrea Thornton

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:27 pm

I lived in Newcastle Avenue and both my parents worked there. My dad was Tony the DJ. Many happy memories as a kid and an adult

• Graham Smith

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:28 pm

With the Willowbrook, Old Volunteer and the Gedling Inn thriving the Tavern may be feeling the impact.

• Diane Duke

Apr 14, 2017 at 12:59 pm

It needs to be decorated like the old volunteer I love that place but i do feel its to small .This place would be so ideal as it’s spacious but it needs the atmosphere like volo then it would do wonders!!!!!

• Andy laing

May 17, 2017 at 3:57 pm

Have a look around the country at estate pubs , they are disappearing and retirement homes or complexes for the elderly being built on the sites .So the good news is you might be able to revisit the Wessy again one day