Pet owners in Netherfield have been put on alert after a spate of cat deaths from suspected antifreeze poisoning.
The cat deaths all occurred on Dunstan Street in the town.
According to locals at least two cats have died in the past few weeks as a result of poisoning – sparking fears a deliberate cat killer is on the loose.
The poison is thought to be responsible for the deaths of several other cats on the street over the past year.
One resident who didn’t want to be named told Gedling Eye: “My neighbour told me his next-door cat was one of those that had sadly died; it looks like it may be anti-freeze.
“I lost a cat Christmas before last having ingested antifreeze too. People have to be made aware and the person doing it must be caught. I believe the police have been informed.”
Now owners are being urged to keep an eye on their animals and get treatment immediately if they suspect their pet has been poisoned.
The signs of poisoning can be seen anything from 30 minutes after a cat has ingested the chemical, though it can be two or three days before signs of kidney failure are seen.
The signs of poisoning can include one, or several of the following:
- Seeming sleepy or depressed
- Appearing drunk or uncoordinated
- Difficulty breathing
Gedling Eye has contacted Nottinghamshire Police who said they have no record of being contacted about this incident.